The Indian Premier League (IPL), established in 2008 by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), is a prestigious cricket tournament that has gained immense popularity around the world. This page provides a complete rundown of what fans can anticipate in the upcoming IPL 2024 season, including details about the teams, schedule, auction, and where to watch the IPL on TV.
Watch the IPL 2024 on TV and Stream
The IPL is broadcasted worldwide, making it one of the most-watched sports events each year. In India, Star Sports Network is the official broadcaster of the league. Fans can also stream the games live on various platforms. For the most accurate and up-to-date information on where to watch today's IPL games on TV, fans can use the programming schedule on this page.
The Legacy of the Indian Premier League
The IPL, a T20 cricket league, was formed to bring the sport closer to its fans by offering a faster-paced game, in contrast to traditional cricket matches that could last for over a day. The league, which started with eight city-based franchises, has since grown into one of the most-followed cricket competitions globally.
The format of the Indian Premier League:
- Each team has a single innings with a maximum of 20 overs.
- Each team plays against every other team twice, resulting in 14 matches per team.
- At the end of the league phase, the top four teams compete for the title in a unique playoff format.
An Overview of the Teams in the IPL
The IPL 2024 season will feature ten teams representing different cities across India. Some of these teams have been part of the league since its inception. The teams participating in the 2024 season are as follows:
- Chennai Super Kings: CSK has a strong mix of experienced international players and talented newcomers. Key acquisitions include New Zealand all-rounders Daryl Mitchell and Rachin Ravindra, along with experienced pacers like Mustafizur Rahman and Shardul Thakur. They also added young talents like Avanish Rao Aravelly and Sameer Rizvi, ensuring a good blend of youth and experience in the squad.
- Delhi Capitals: Delhi Capitals have a balanced mix of experienced and emerging talents. Their squad includes key players like David Warner, Prithvi Shaw, Rishabh Pant, Mitchell Marsh, and Anrich Nortje, providing a strong foundation in both batting and bowling. Notable acquisitions in the auction include Harry Brook, Ricky Bhui, Tristan Stubbs, Kumar Kushagra, and Jhye Richardson, adding depth to their roster.
- Kings XI Punjab: PBKS have retained a core group of players from the previous season and have made some significant acquisitions in the auction. Key players like Shikhar Dhawan (captain), Jonny Bairstow, Liam Livingstone, Kagiso Rabada, and Arshdeep Singh form the backbone of the team. The addition of Harshal Patel, Chris Woakes, and Rilee Rossouw strengthens their squad considerably.
- Kolkata Knight Riders: KKR has made significant changes to their squad, including acquiring Mitchell Starc for a record-breaking fee. The team also includes experienced players like Shreyas Iyer, Nitish Rana, Andre Russell, Sunil Narine, and Varun Chakravarthy, along with new additions like Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Jason Roy, Chetan Sakariya, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, and Manish Pandey.
- Mumbai Indians: The Mumbai Indians has retained key players like Rohit Sharma (Captain), Suryakumar Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, and Ishan Kishan, who have been crucial to the team's success over the years. They are joined by young talents like Tilak Varma and Dewald Brevis, showcasing a blend of experience and youth. The acquisition of all-rounder Cameron Green and the retention of Tim David adds significant depth to their batting and bowling options.
- Rajasthan Royals: RR has retained key players like Sanju Samson, Jos Buttler, and Yashasvi Jaiswal, and have made strategic acquisitions like Rovman Powell and Nandre Burger. The team also includes Shimron Hetmyer, Riyan Parag, Ravichandran Ashwin, Yuzvendra Chahal, Trent Boult, and Adam Zampa, forming a well-rounded squad.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore: RCB has retained their core players, including captain Faf du Plessis, Virat Kohli, Glenn Maxwell, and Dinesh Karthik. They have added new talents like Alzarri Joseph, Tom Curran, Lockie Ferguson, and Yash Dayal to strengthen their squad. The team also includes promising young talents like Rajat Patidar, Anuj Rawat, and Suyash Prabhudessai.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad: SRH made strategic acquisitions in the IPL 2024 auction, notably Australian Test and ODI captain Pat Cummins for a record ₹20.5 crore. They also picked up Australian player Travis Head for ₹6.8 crore and Sri Lankan all-rounder Wanindu Hasaranga for his base price of ₹1.5 crore. The team also includes Jaydev Unadkat, Akash Singh, and Jhathavedh Subramanyan, alongside retained players like Aiden Markram, Abdul Samad, Abhishek Sharma, and others.
- Gujarat Titans: GT has undergone some significant changes, including the trading of their previous captain Hardik Pandya to Mumbai Indians. They have made eight new signings in the IPL 2024 auction, including Australian pacer Spencer Johnson for ₹10 crore, Shahrukh Khan for ₹7.4 crore, and Umesh Yadav for ₹5.8 crore. The team also added wicketkeeper Robin Minz, Sushant Mishra, Kartik Tyagi, Azmatullah Omarzai, and Manav Suthar.
- Lucknow Super Giants: LSG signed six new players in the IPL 2024 auction, including Indian pacer Shivam Mavi for ₹6.4 crore, English all-rounder David Willey, Australian batter Ashton Turner, and young talents like Arshin Kulkarni, Manimaran Siddharth, and Mohd Arshad Khan. The team, led by KL Rahul, has a balanced mix of experienced international players and emerging domestic talents.
Mumbai Indians hold the record for the most IPL titles, followed by Chennai Super Kings. Along with the league title, players also compete for individual awards such as the Orange Cap for the top run-scorer and the Purple Cap for the top wicket-taker.
IPL 2024 Schedule
The IPL 2024 tournament is anticipated to kick off at the end of March and conclude by early June. A detailed schedule of the matches, including the teams playing each day, will be available on the official IPL website and other sports news platforms.
IPL 2024: The Venues
The matches of IPL 2024 are likely to be held in several iconic stadiums across India. These may include the Eden Gardens in Kolkata, M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru, Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai, MA Chidambaram Chepauk Stadium in Chennai, Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium in Delhi, Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, and BRASOV Ekana Cricket Stadium in Lucknow.
IPL Auction 2024
The IPL mini-auction for the 2024 season is slated to take place in December 2023 in Dubai. This will mark the first time the auction is held overseas. A total of 1,166 players have registered for the auction, with 77 slots available, including 30 for overseas players.
The Auction Process
Teams are given a certain budget (likely Rs 100 crores in 2024) for the auction, within which they have to bid for players. The players up for auction include those who have been released by their previous teams.
Players Retained and Released
Before the auction, franchises will announce the names of the players they have retained and those they have released. The complete list of these players will be available on the official IPL website and other sports news platforms.